Standing within the parish of St Andrew Melton and almost on the edge of Ufford parish is the ancient church of Melton now owned by a charitable trust.
We know that the Saxon Manor of Melton belonged to the Abbott of Ely and it is believed that a church has stood here since those times.
The first recorded Rector was William, son of Theodwine, in 1146.
There is a rare triple brass in the Nave, which depicts a Priest in academic dress with his parents, dated 1436.
There is a rare triple brass in the Nave, which depicts a Priest in academic dress with his parents, dated 1436.
The Tower was added in 1446, having originally had four bells, only one remains. The other three bells, and the baptismal font were installed in the new St Andrew's Church.
As the village grew, the church in what is now called Old Church Road on the border with Ufford, was too small for the congregation, and from 1800 onwards proposals for enlargement were put forward, but were never adopted.
Hence in 1865 it was decided to build the present St Andrew’s in the centre of the village.
A full history of the Old Church can be obtained, and membership of the Old Church Society can be yours for a small annual fee.
Melton Old Church Society was formed in December 1980 to preserve the ancient building for future generations.
Each year the Society hosts concerts, lectures and worship in these fine and beautiful surroundings.
The cost of annual membership is currently £7 and further information is available from John Duce - Telephone: 01394 386321.
Everyone is most welcome to join or to come and visit the church at any time, with prior notice.
No regular Sunday services take place these days but there are open days through the year.
The Churchyard remains vested in the Rector of the parish and is the responsibility of the St Andrew's Parochial Church Council [PCC]. Although closed for burials except in existing graves and graves reserved by faculty, cremated remains are still interred, either in the area with stone memorials, or a new option is a 'green' burial of ashes under existing trees in other parts of the churchyard.